Tony Robbins, having worked with millions of people in hundreds of countries worldwide, has a true gift to share truth, wisdom and love. He is a powerful speaker with many colourful and rich stories that teach and uplift all of us. Here are a few short summary notes from this insightful, inspiring and entertaining 30-minute video.
Everybody has a reason for what they do. There are many different stories but there are only 6 reasons. These 6 reasons are our the 6 human needs.
We all have different goals and desires but they all stem from the same 6 needs.
While each human being is unique, we also share nervous systems that function in the same way. There are also six fundamental needs that everyone has in common, and all behaviour is simply an attempt to meet those six needs.
The 6 Human Needs
- Certainty: assurance you can avoid pain and gain pleasure
- Uncertainty/Variety: the need for the unknown, change, new stimuli
- Significance: feeling unique, important, special or needed
- Connection/Love: a strong feeling of closeness or union with someone or something
- Growth: an expansion of capacity, capability or understanding
- Contribution: a sense of service and focus on helping, giving to and supporting others
Understanding these needs, and which ones you are trying to meet in any given moment, can help you create new patterns that lead to lasting fulfilment.